Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Beef and Bean Taco Casserole

Adapted from Love Grows Wild
 
This hearty casserole has become one of my favorites to prepare. It's also one of my family's favorites to eat! So I guess that works out well, huh? It has all the flavors of tacos with a little less mess. My kids call it Tacos You Can Eat with a Fork!

You can customize the toppings based on your family's preferences. And you can easily double the recipe if you've got a large group to feed. 

Here's what you need:

1 lb ground beef
1 can (16 oz) refried beans (you can use homemade, about 2 cups)
1 cup salsa
Tortilla chips, coarsely crushed, about 2 cups
Shredded cheddar cheese, about 2 cups
Your favorite taco toppings

In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. Drain. Stir in the refried beans, salsa and taco seasoning until everything is well mixed.

In a 8x8 dish, layer half the crushed chips, then half the cheese.
Spread the meat and bean mixture evenly over the cheese.
Repeat the chips and cheese layer.
Bake at 350 degrees until the cheese is melted, maybe about 10-15 minutes.
Scoop out onto a plate and top with your favorite taco toppings. I like lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream.
I prefer to let everyone choose their own toppings instead of topping the entire casserole like the original recipe called for. That way everyone is happy and eats up!





1 comment:

  1. That looks great! I love casseroles :) I hope the storms weren't too bad! We're about to get hammered with all the rain lol!

    ReplyDelete