Tuesday, December 18, 2012

How to Make Homemade Gravy

You might have noticed I didn't post a menu plan for the week. That's because I don't have one. We're visiting my family in West Virginia for the holidays, so my mom is in charge of the menu and I'm helping. I love my mom's cooking!

But I do have a recipe to share, especially with a big holiday meal coming up. I love eating turkey and mashed potatoes covered with gravy. And nothing beats homemade gravy.

I used to buy gravy in a jar. But it is filled with sodium and other non-healthy ingredients. I didn't realize how easy it was to make homemade until my husband's Nana showed me a couple of Thanksgivings ago. Now it's the only kind of gravy I serve - homemade.

Here's what you need:

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups liquid - I use chicken, turkey or beef broth unless I have drippings from cooking the meat
salt and pepper to taste

That's it! Only 3 ingredients plus seasonings!

Start by melting the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
Add the flour and whisk until completely smooth.
Keep stirring with the whisk until the mixture begins to bubble.
Now gradually at the broth, a little at a time, whisking all the while.
You don't want any lumps at all, so keep whisking until all the flour mixture is incorporated.
Turn up the heat just a little and cook until the gravy starts to bubble. Keep whisking. You'll feel it starting to thicken because it will be a little harder to whisk.

When your gravy reaches the desired thickness, remove from the heat and stir in salt and pepper to taste. I cook mine until the gravy coats the back of a spoon without all of it dripping off.

Serve with your favorite meat and potatoes or use in recipes that call for gravy. This recipe makes about two cups. It will keep in the fridge for up to a week. Simply reheat on the stove.


2 comments:

  1. Growing up I never realized that gravy even came in a can! My grandma and mom always made it with whatever meat dripping were left. Enjoy your Christmas in almost Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother made gravy from scratch so when I started cooking for my husband I was shocked that he thought it came in a can or envelope. lol

    ReplyDelete