Thursday, May 10, 2012

Triple Berry Crisp

I've been experimenting with different kinds of natural sweeteners lately. I'm trying to get away from white sugar. In this recipe I used agave syrup and sucanat, but honey can be substituted. As with any kind of sweetener, moderation is the key.

Here's what you need:

2 cups mixed berries, fresh or frozen
1 TBSP agave syrup
1 TBSP white wheat flour (optional, used as a thickener)
1/2 cup oats
3 TBSP sucanat
3 TBSP white wheat flour
3 TBSP melted butter or coconut oil
1/2 teas cinnamon

I used a bag of frozen mixed berries I got at Aldi. It contained blueberries, blackberries and raspberries. You can use whatever mixture of berries you want.


Spread the berries in an 8x8 pan. Drizzle the agave syrup or honey over the top. Sprinkle with flour, if desired. Mix together. I used the flour, as you can see by the picture. The next time I make this, I'll probably omit it. I don't think it really contributed anything to the dessert.




In a small bowl, mix the remaining ingredients until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over berry mixture.


Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes until bubbly around the edges and golden brown.


We all enjoyed this dessert very much. It was delicious and sweet with just a hint of crunch from the topping. The kids are already begging me to make more!


No comments:

Post a Comment