Saturday, January 28, 2012

Make Your Own Taco Seasoning


I've been trying to make my own seasoning mixes now for a while, and I've finally found a taco seasoning blend we all like. My children aren't big fans of spicy foods, so I always have to take that into consideration when whipping up taco seasoning. If your family prefers more heat, add more chili powder and a little cayenne.

Here's what I use:

1/4 cup minced onion
2 TBSP sea salt
2 TBSP chili powder
1 TBSP corn starch
1 TBSP garlic powder
1 TBSP cumin
1 1/2 teas dried oregano

Mix up all the ingredients and blend well. Store in a jar or airtight container. To make tacos, start with 1 tablespoon seasoning mix per pound of meat. If that's not spicy enough for you, add a little more, up to another tablespoon.

I also use this mix any time taco seasoning is called for in a recipe, like taco soup or nachos.

1 comment:

  1. The seasoning mix looks great! I definitely would like to try it!

    ReplyDelete